Freelance Web and Mobile App Developer
iPhone Radio App Development
The iPhone Radio App is built on a stable, but flexible platform that can be configured to meet the needs of any radio station. The primary purpose of the app is to provide users with an easy way to access the station's Internet fed audio stream, which in turn increases both the station's listening figures and listening hours.
What does the iPhone Radio App offer?
The iPhone Radio App can be designed around the needs of your station and can be as simple or feature intensive as you desire. The basic radio app consist of five pages, which can be configured to the needs of your station:
- On Air - Provides access to the play/pause controls and display information about the current show
- Presenters - Gives access to information from your presenters biographies
- Facebook - Allows users to view your facebook wall
- Twitter - Allows users to view your twitter timeline
- Website - Gives users access to your website
The basic app provides a base to build on and can grow to accommodate many additional features:
- It has facilities to include advertising modules, which can either be standalone or fed directly from your website to provide a consistent message.
- It has facilities to include news updates and news flashes for important stories in your area
- It can be configured to work with your competitions, providing a new entry route for listeners without any additional tasks for your staff
- It can provide information about the current track with the option of allowing users to buy the track through iTunes and providing you with a new income stream via an affiliate account
- It has the ability to be expanded and built on, so that your ideas or requirements can be included seamlessly.
The identity of your radio station is key to the look and feel of the app and it will be designed around your image to ensure that listeners recognise the branding.
Why should my radio station have an iPhone App?
Simply put - To reach a wider audience, for longer
People's listening habits are changing. At the end of 2010, RAJAR's research suggested an increase in the number of people listening to radio through smartphone apps, with 2.2 million claiming to have downloaded one. That's up from 1.4 million when a similar survey was done six months previously, and the figures also show 13 percent of the population have listened to radio through a mobile phone.
Mobile phones are always with their owners. Wherever people go, they take their phones with them, so by having an app for your radio station, you enable them to take you with them as well.
I don't have a budget for a dedicated app
The app can support sponsorship in several ways, either through banner advertising or a start up screen. The revenue you can earn by selling space on the app can easily cover the expense of having the app created for you. This can the continue to provide your station with an additional revenue stream.
Is there a demo app that I can download?
As an example of the basic app described above, please feel free to download the app for 'The Voice FM', which was produced for a local RSL station.